M.B.B.S (University of Mysore); D.B.M. (ICFAI University); M.Sc. (Health Policy) (LSE & LSHTM); D. Phil. - Public Health (Political-Economy) (University of Oxford)
Vivek is a trained medical doctor with a master's in Health Policy, Planning, and Financing from the LSE and the LSHTM; and a doctorate in Public Health (Political-Economy) from the University of Oxford. In addition, he holds a Diploma in Business Management from the ICFAI University.
Prior to joining JSGP he worked as an associate professor at the Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI). Earlier to this he worked as a researcher at the Department of Social Policy, LSE and as coordinator of International Long-term care Policy Network (ILPN) based in London. In addition, he has more than a decade long grassroots experience in Development Management.
Vivek is passionate about making basic public health services ‘work’ for the needy citizens. His research aims to inform policy and practice on evidence-based solutions to supply-side, demand-side and governance barriers to ensure basic services reach the un-reached. He has undertaken several original research studies and has successfully advocated for the study learnings to be considered in policy-making and practice both in India and the United Kingdom.
Vivek teaches courses related to Health Policy, Health Economics, Health Financing and Health Services Management.
Lead investigator: Political-economy of provision of local public health goods in rural India
2.Lead investigator: Estimation of cost of standardized care for common disease conditions, 2016 – 2017
3. Lead investigator: Estimation of cost to Government of Karnataka for providing primary and secondary level health care services, 2016 – 2017
4. Lead investigator: Study on health seeking behavior and out of pocket health expenditure among households in Karnataka state, 2016 – 2017
5. Co-investigator: Economic case for social care in England: Cost-effectiveness of advocacy, 2011 – 2012,
6. Co-investigator: Economic cost and QALY estimation of mental health burden in England, 2011 – 2012
7. Project lead: Economic evaluation of Right-steps - community mental health program, Derbyshire, United Kingdom, 2010 – 2011
8. Co-investigator: International comparison of economic burden of chronic diseases, 2010 – 2010